PHOTO: The Clifton Manor House Exterior by Read McKendree
Located in picturesque Charlottesville, Virginia, The Clifton is a historic property well-known for its quaint decor and many weddings. Originally constructed in 1799 by Thomas Jefferson’s daughter and son-in-law Martha Jefferson and Thomas Mann Randolph, the hotel was recently re-imagined into a boutique hotel in mid-June 2018 by the acclaimed Blackberry Farm Design (known for Tennessee’s Blackberry Farm Resort).
PHOTO: Bridal Suite at The Clifton by Read McKendree
The interiors were artfully refreshed to bring the chic country estate into the 21st century. The Blackberry Farms design team left the structural bones of the colonial property intact, but the public spaces/restaurant/bar and new 20 rooms run the gamut from rustic estate-chic — think re-purposed antique furniture, stone chimneys, and sophisticated artwork — to bright and modern, with clean lines and modern detailing.
PHOTO: Manor House Foyer at The Clifton by Read McKendree
The property’s legacy of producing some of the best executive chefs in town also continues with the newly appointed Michelin-starred chef, Matthew Bousquet. Leading the recently refurbished 1799 Restaurant, Copper Bar, and the catering department, Chef Matthew combines classic technique with seasonal ingredients sourced locally within the Mid-Atlantic region, including the property’s own vegetable and herb garden, to create dynamic New American fare with a traditional French flair.
PHOTO: The Clifton Veranda by Read McKendree
In the evening, guests can retire to the Copper Bar, a speakeasy-inspired space with an adjacent lounge and wine cellar. Additional amenities include a private lake, walking trails, infinity pool and hot tub, sprawling garden.
PHOTO: The Clifton Copper Bar by Read McKendree
Additional property features and amenities here:
• 20 rooms and suites across five structures: the Manor House (seven rooms and suites), Cottage (two suites), Carriage House (three rooms), Livery Stables (three family suites), and Collina Farm (five rooms)
• 1799 restaurant featuring seasonal menus showcasing hyper-local ingredients and a beverage program with inventive cocktails and an extensive wine selection; 60 seats on the Veranda, 150 seats on the Outdoor Terrace, a seasonal patio, 18 seats in the Library, and 6 seats at the Chef’s Counter
• Copper Bar and Lounge offering lush velvet seating with a unique copper bar and rich oak interiors; 15 seats
• Wine Cellar full of Virginia’s most celebrated wines and global vintages; 20 seats
• 18 acre lake, with activation plans in the seasonal months
• 400 sq. ft. infinity pool and hot tub with cabanas
• Sprawling gardens with a croquet lawn and Chef’s garden